So this is something that I was hoping would be happening a little bit later. I had high hopes for this series because I am a fan of L.J. Smith, but I could not bring myself to try and finish the second book and the prospect of reading the third book was kind of… I probably would have died before finishing it. So, let’s get on with it.
Dark Visions by L.J. Smith
I’d like to start by saying, that L.J. Smith is one of the authors that I have read several books from – in fact I have a few more lined up that will appear as book reviews here as well.
I spent a total of almost two months reading through the first two books of the Dark Visions Trilogy. Here’s what I found:
- Smith tried to come up with another theory as to Vampires and the way that they take a “life force” from humans. I thought that the idea was good, but there was something to be desired about the way that she set everything up.
- All of the characters were somewhat annoying and there was a lot of childish natures tied with people who were supposed to be seniors in high school that I don’t see reflected in real seniors. aka – some of the characters lacked maturity.
- The whole series was moving quite slow. I think that there are ways that certain details could have come up much faster and in just as meaningful of ways.
- The romance was way too fast and the triangle that was created was cringe worthy. I do enjoy some romance in books and a lot of the YA that I read has it, but this romance happened without any real struggle and way to fast.
These were some of the main things that I found to be awry with this book.
I respect and enjoy L.J. Smiths work having read it for many years, but there was something about this book that I couldn’t stand. This book just missed the mark with me. It happens a lot with authors – you can love many of their books and then there is just one (or in this case 3) that just tend to miss the mark.
All in all, I wouldn’t recommend this book, as you can tell. I do reccomend some of her other books such as:
- The Night World Series
- The Forbidden Game
- Vampire Diaries – this one is one that I need to read again to make sure, but from what I remember, the first book is the one that is the most worthy of reading.
Thank you everyone and sorry for an abandonment post so early on. This is something that I am typically too stubborn to do, but with too little time to read, why waste it on a book that drives you nuts? This book is officially going on Goodwill pile – another thing that I don’t normally do.
Till the next chapter,